MATMED Lab News: Jan-March 19
- Santosh, Ketan and Aaron’s paper titled “ In situ plasmonic generation in a functional ionic-gold-nanogel scaffold for rapid quantitative bio-sensing which was published in Biosensors and Bioelectronics got highlighted on Illinois News Bureau. Here is the link for the article: https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/689049#image-1
- Ph.D. student, Indrajit will be giving 4 oral talks at the American Chemical Society National Meetings in Orlando, FL which will be held from 31st March to 4th April.
MATMED Lab News: Fall 2018
- We would first like to congratulate Prof. Pan on becoming the Associate Head of Graduate Programs, Department of Bioengineering. Prof. Pan was also elected to be the Associate Editor for WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology (Wiley).
- We will like to congratulate Aaron who in December successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis, and is on his way to MD Anderson Cancer Center for his postdoctoral work. Good luck, Aaron.
- Recently, some of the research works published by Pan Lab got media attention and was highlighted on the University website, but also on Science daily and Nanowerk. Michael and Santosh’s work titled as ‘Design, Synthesis, and Characterization of Globular Orphan Nuclear Receptor Regulator with Biological Activity in Soft Tissue Sarcoma’ which got published in Journal of Medicinal Chemistry was highlighted on the University website.
From left: Fatemeh (Youkabed) Ostadhossein, graduate student tin bioengineering; and Dipanjan Pan, professor of bioengineering
- Indu’s paper titled ‘Biodegradable nano carbon-based smart filters for efficient remediation of pharmaceutical contaminants’ which got accepted in Journal of Materials Chemistry A got highlighted onto the Daily Illini.
- Youkabed’s work titled ‘Dual purpose hafnium oxide nanoparticles offer imaging Streptococcus mutans dental biofilm and fight it In vivo via a drug-free approach’ which was published in Biomaterials, got highlighted on Science daily, Nanowerk.
She was also selected as a winner in the FASEB BioArt competition for 3D-printed heart image she captured:
MATMED LAB NEWS : Spring 2017
Santosh was awarded the best poster award in MRS Fall Meeting in Boston, MA. First year PhD student, Parinaz Fathi was awarded the National Physical Science Consortium Fellowship. Furthermore, she was also awarded the 2017 Teaching Excellence Fellowship, by the Bioengineering department. Kudos!
MATMED LAB NEWS: November 2016
This month has been quite eventful with Professor Pan and Dr. Santosh Misra being featured on the departments website. Professor Pan was also elected to be a fellow of the American Heart Association this month. MATMED Lab presented at multiple conferences this month. The first being the MRL conference. Graduate students Youkabed Ostadhossein and Aaron Schwartz-Duval presented their work to receive first and second place in poster judging. Additionally Dr. Santosh Misra and Dr. Muhammad Khan presented at the MRL conference.
The lab also presented at the Midwest BMES conference with everyone presenting a project. In other news, we would like to congratulate Youkabed Ostadhossein for receiving the Foundation of Women Wellness Fellowship 2016.
MATMED LAB NEWS: September – October 2016
The MatMed team has been evolving into an incredible industry-disruptive leader in academic research with its new team members, recent impactful publications, and vast amounts of awards! First off we would like to welcome our new members to the MatMed Pan Clan; Kevin (Zhen) Wang, Parinaz Fathi, Rushi Patel, and Lucy Zhaolu Huang. Their incredible expertise will jumpstart new areas of research that will continue to make our team an interdisciplinary giant on the University of Illinois Campus. Check out their profiles to get to know them better.
We would like to send a friendly ‘Congratulations’ to our Senior Graduate student, Aaron Schwartz-Duval for being elected president of the Bioengineering Advisory Council (BEACON). This council is dedicated to improving internal dynamics of graduate culture operations. Here in the MatMed Lab, we pride ourselves not only on our vast technical skill sets but also our leadership ability. Congratulations Aaron!
Our team of researchers, students, and postdoctoral scholars, recently attended multiple conferences and won some incredible awards. Our very own Dr. Muhammad Khan, attended the 38th Annual International Conference on the Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society. While attending, he was awarded the prestigious EMBS-NSF award for Young Professionals! Congratulations to Muhammad!
Soon after, Dr. Guru Vulugundum, Aaron Schwartz-Duval, Youkabed Ostadhossein, and Indrajit Srivastava attended the American Vacuum Society Prarie Chapter in Chicago, where Youkabed won the 2nd place Prarie Chapter award on her outstanding research! Youkabed has also been selected for the Illinois Female Engineers in Academia Training and as a graduate mentor in the Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program. Congratulations Youkabed!
As most bioengineers know, the Biomedical Engineering Society conference happened recently in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Professor Dipanjan Pan, Dr. Santosh Misra, and Aaron Schwartz-Duval had the pleasure of attending and representing our team with their innovative research.
Furthermore, our senior Postdoctoral Scholar Dr. Santosh Misra has been promoted and duly appointed as the MatMed Lab’s Research Scientist for his outstanding contributions to our lab’s research progress.
Finally, we are pleased to announce that Professor Dipanjan Pan and Dr. Santaosh Misra were mentioned in a press release with News Medical Life Sciences regarding a unique investigation into the cancer switch. This news story can be found here, and the Scientific Reports research paper this press release was based on can be found here.
Signing off ,
Webmaster: Enrique Daza